How to report a Watermain/Sewer Break?

If you experience any of the water or sewer emergency situations listed below, please contact us as follows:

Between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday:

  • Contact Public Works at (952) 227-1300

After hours or on weekends and holidays (24 hours):

  • Call the emergency number at (952) 917-9345

Utilities Information Hotline:

  • (952) 227-1317

Show All Answers

1. How to report a Watermain/Sewer Break?
2. Why is my water sometimes rusty looking?
3. What is my water’s hardness?
4. How do I turn off the water supply to my house in the event of a scheduled plumbing repair?
5. Is the City responsible for plumbing leaks?
6. What is my drinking water quality?
7. Why is chlorine added to our water?
8. Why is fluoride added to the water?
9. Who should I call about a problem or question about my drinking water?
10. Why does Chanhassen flush fire hydrants?
11. How much of the city has treated water?
12. Where can I find my water meter and how can I use it to check leaks?
13. What causes the spots on my dishes?
14. Why does the water sometimes look milky?
15. How can I use my water meter to check for leaks?
16. What is the small metal disk in my yard or driveway?
17. Why does my water smell like rotten eggs and how do I get rid of it?